Pages

Monday 14 April 2014

Are interviews too much chat not enough do?

With my money running out and limited prospects of full-time work in a job I want I am currently returning to my old faithful: bar work. In fact I have a trial on Wednesday.

This lead me to think about why not more interviews are trial based? I know most jobs have a trial period, but why is the interview process based on chat and exampled not chat and challenges.

I'll admit it, on paper I don't seem like much; bar work, bar work, special effects make-up, bar work, bar work, social media. To me it reads like "Can't make up her mind" when in reality it's "Needed money fast".

I made a promise to myself when I moved to London, move away from hospitality, get a "proper job". When in reality I love bar work. I love talking to people, making yummy drinks and I really love making other people happy. So bar work could be my perfect job. After all despite having a degree I am far more qualified in cellar management and making ferns in coffee because I've actually done it, for ages. But because I've been doing this for ages it's no longer a challenge. I can learn a bar, till system, cellar, menu in about half an hour. Not by studying it, by actually working it.

You know how you go about getting a job in hospitality? It's a lot like becoming a stuntman. Know someone doing it already. So in that respect it's like getting any job: networking. Back to the point, for any of my hospitality roles it's never really been a case of my CV. I got recommended and offered a trial shift. Not an interview, a trial. A lets see if you can actually do the job.

I'm pretty sure it's nearly the same with teachers (or so my mum told me). You're invited to the school you've applied for, teach a class, get interviewed by the students then get interviewed by the senior team.

Now this may seem like a much longer process, but you're guaranteed to pick the right candidate for the job and as a candidate you'll know if you want the job or not. If it's your first job in a particular industry how do you know you'll love it if you haven't done it?

Am I just not applying for jobs I'll enjoy if all I want from an interview is to prove myself from a practical demonstration rather than telling people what I've done in the past.

Or is it that entry-level jobs don't test for this?

Thoughts, comments? Anyone been on a really cool interview process. Or a really bad interview?


No comments:

Post a Comment