Pages

Friday 20 December 2013

My day in Narnia at Inspiring Interns

You know the feeling when you've applied to every job ever, and no one has replied to you. Not even to stay sorry but no. Well on Monday I was feeling a lot like that. At about 11pm I had an epiphany. A light bulb moment. Why don't I have a job helping people like me. I saw a HR internship available at Inspiring Interns, I stayed up far to late writing the most heartfelt covering letter ever. At 10am the next morning I send it all off to them.

Nothing else interesting happened until 3:15pm that day. That's five hours. I waited a whole five hours for somebody to get back to me. Even net-a-porter took at least 2 days to tell me I was unsuccessful.

But this wasn't unsuccessful. I can not explain the euphoric feel when you see an email appear in your inbox when the subject line is "Successful Application". If you've ever gone a long time without a job, and have been apply for up to 4 or 5 jobs a day, you will understand the calming wave of "finally".

Unfortunately the position I applied for had already been filled, but they invited me in for a chat anyway.

If you haven't heard, inspiring interns reception room is decorated to look like Narnia. And you get to walk through a wardrobe. Strangely enough it all seemed quite normal considering I was named after Lucy for Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe. 



Inspiring Interns are a graduate recruitment company who help businesses find graduates for internships. And therefore, help graduates find internships. The stand out point for them is they use video CV's to show prospective employers. And if you don't have a camera to film on, their happy to do that at their office. 

The lovely Annie was the to help me yesterday. We had a brief chat about what kind of internship I wanted, which I have to admit was quite vague. What I did at university, what I've been doing since. Which when people ask me is quite a lot of stuff, not all cramed onto  my CV. She the gave me a few minutes to get ready to make my video CV. Which consisted of me writing a short speech over and over again in my note book. But it worked. And by the 3 time I just about managed to not say Umm or trip over my words.

Annie then gave me some internships to look at to see if I wanted to be put forward for any of them. I think my yes pile was a lot bigger than my no pile. 

So now I get to play the waiting game. I think I might develop this into an actual game so it's more fun.

If you are struggling with finding an internship I really recommend getting in contact with inspiring Interns. I think I've ended up talking to three of for different people in the office for different things but they've all very lovely and helpful.

If you want to see what internship opportunities they currently have you can check out their website.

Or if you have a question, or would like to registrar with them you can fill in a form here

After you have become registered with them, you have the option to join the refer a friend scheme. So if you'd like to help me out email though this address and let them know I sent you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment