Pages

Friday 14 September 2012

It's not what you know it's who you know

Today is my first day off in fourteen days. So I'm determined to make it productive.

I think I've mentioned this a few times on here, but it's not what you know but who you know. Today this is very true. And looking back, this is how I've gotten pretty much all my jobs in the past few year. Before uni it was just about being the first person to reply to an advert for semi-unskilled jobs; paper-round, waitressing etc. It's also how I became a photo editor at a photography studio for two years.

Getting back to the point. I've decided I want to write. I don't exactly know what or in which medium but I'm sure that will come in time. I've also been told that many PR agents started life as journalists. So this is my starting point now. Building up a portfolio.

As mentioned in my previous post, I'm now a games review. This lead to my boyfriend suggesting I email someone he knows who is the content manager of a website. This time I did something a little different from my know, plz can I haz some work experience. I sent him a pitch for a column. He replied saying it could be interesting and would I also be willing to do reviews and cover events. Score!

I have now drafted my column, and said I'm open to doing other writing bits. Now I play the waiting game and see what he thinks. I will report back with the results of my mini experiment when I know the outcome.

I would also like to wish all of this years Falmouth Graduates(and any other recent graduates)good luck with their exciting steps into the big bad job seeking world.

No comments:

Post a Comment