Pages

Sunday 26 August 2012

Looking back over this blog, I've realised how much of a long process this job stuff is. At least for me. Luckily I'm in a position at the moment where I've cleared my overdraft (so proud) and I work between 50-60 hours a week so I'm now in a place where I know how I'm going to pay my rent and where my next meals coming from. This time last year it was a completely different story and possibly some of the hardest months of my life.

However, it is in the back of my mind that summer season in hospitality is nearly over, and my hours will get slashed. So, despite there being millions of new graduate fighting for jobs, it's now the perfect time for me to actually get on the graduate job hunt.

A couple of weeks go I applied for an associate position at The Vine PR and Marketing who I've worked with before as a freelance event photographer. Unfortunately I got the dreaded, we're looking for someone with more experience reply.  But Lotte told me she'd contact me if anything else comes up and she hopes we'll work together again soon.

Last week I applied for a eight week PAID internship at Stranger Collective. I'm still waiting back to see if I got an interview. I don't know if it's because deep down I know that it's likely loads of people who have tons of writing experience applied and they'd get it over me or that fact that I have just had so many rejections to jobs I really want and I'm tired of setting myself up for a fall, but I don't think I'll get an interview. Don't get me wrong, I put a lot of work onto my 5 page application. But while writing the previous experience bit, I realised that I haven't really done that much writing. Well over three blogs I have. But that's self published and I don't think that counts for much in the professional
 world of copywrite.  If I get an interview I will be absolutely ecstatic. It is only an internship though, so I'll still have to be looking for a job after it as I doubt I'll be able to go back to my old one. So it'll be a big leap if I do magically get offered the job.

As the club is opening less and less, I've been applying for a few evening bar jobs, but they're few and far between. I'm just trying to do everything possible to be able to stay out of my overdraft during the winter. Falmouth seems to shut down and it's a bad time to be looking for work.

In some super good news, I'm getting some writing experience! Purely by coincidence and my boyfriend being on twitter and the right time I am now a freelance games reviewer for x360gamer.co.uk and you can find my first review which was published today here.

So that's some pretty good news. I'll be looking high and low on the Internet to try and find some more oppitunities like this. And then I will start making a portfolio website!

Anyone know of any freelance, paid or unpaid writing work going at the moment?

2 comments:

  1. Love your blog, I'm in a similar position at the moment- I'm trying to find a job with a Writing degree. Bad times! It's okay... hopefully one day people will discover our mad skills and rue the day they ever threw away one of our job applications... which will be worth millions purely because we wrote them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sophie,

      Cheers for the support. Good luck in your hunt too! I'm making progress today! With the it's not what you know it's who you know. Just about to write another blog post so stay tuned!

      Delete